Service Academy Nominations
As a member of Congress, I have the great honor to nominate candidates from Florida’s 26 Congressional District for appointment to four U.S. service academies which require nomination: Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD, the Military Academy at West Point, NY, the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, CO, and the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY.
These institutions prepare college-age Americans to be officers of the U.S. uniformed services. Upon graduation, service academy graduates are commissioned as officers in the active or reserve components of the military or merchant marine for a minimum of five years.
Application Procedure for Service Academies though the Office of Congressman Carlos A. Gimenez
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION PACKET
Note to Applicant: You are being considered for a nomination to one or more of the service academies. You will not be considered for an academy which you have not designated as your choice on the application form. However, you must meet the scores listed on the “Minimum Requirements” for the respective academy in order to be scheduled for an interview.
- Application Form ― Complete application form and attach a recent, high-quality photograph.
- Recommendation Forms ― Ask your high school counselor or principal to complete one recommendation form, and choose two others to fill out a form, such as a teacher, coach, employer, or someone who knows you well. Have them return the completed form to you in a sealed envelope with their signature across the seal.
- Transcripts ― Ask your counselor or principal for a copy of your transcripts and make sure the transcript includes your course listing and grades, current G.P.A., and class rank. The transcript should be returned to you in a sealed envelope with their signature across the seal.
- Standardized Test Results ― To have scores forwarded to our office directly from the testing center, please use the code listed by SAT and ACT. Many transcripts will include copies of your SAT or ACT scores. If so, this is sufficient and you need not send in separate score results, unless you have updated scores. No scores will be accepted after the first business day in November.
- Deadline ― Send the above information to the South Florida Office. Completed application packets must be received by the first business day in November. The mailing address is: 14221 SW 120th Street Suite 115 Miami, FL 33186
- Interview ― Interviews are held in mid-November, at the South Florida Office. Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a fifteen-minute interview. If you are unable to attend, you must send a written request for a waiver with your application packet. Waivers will be granted only to those who have military obligation or whose parents are stationed overseas on assignment.
July 1 to November 1 ― COMPLETE PACKET
Candidates must complete application packets and return them to Congressman Gimenez’s South Florida Office.
First Business Day of November ― DEADLINE
All required information for a completed application packet must be received by this date. Please make sure to use sufficient postage.
Mid-November to December ― INTERVIEWS
Qualified candidates are interviewed for approximately 15 minutes by Congressman Gimenez’s
Service Academy Advisory Board. Interviews are held at the South Florida Office.
Early January ― NOTIFICATION
Congressman Gimenez submits nominations to the academies and notifies all interviewed candidates of nomination status a few weeks after the interviews have taken place.
Although some appointments are offered beyond May, the academies will make the majority of appointments between December and May.
Late June or Early July
Appointed cadets are due at the U.S. service academies.